Saturday, November 14, 2009

UVA is a poor value for your sports entertainment dollars.  Give VCU a look.



Last night was, I believe, opening night for VCU. They played
Bethune-Cookman at the Siegel Center (Verizon Wireless got their
name in there somewhere). My lovely wife wanted to go to her
first college basketball game, so we drove over to the parking
deck and walked to the Siegel Center. It cost $7 for me, and
whatever portion of the activity fee paid for that ticket for
her. The Siegel Center holds 7500, and announced attendance was
6700. Actual attendance probably wasn't far off. The student
section was packed and spirited. It was a lively working class
student section, with lots of "You suck" and "bullshit" retorts.
The reserved seating sections mostly sat, but carried the wave
around the arena.

The only things I knew about the VCU team before last night were
that Eric Maynor got drafted and they had a brand new coach.
Sounds like rebuilding mode to me. Next Saturday they play
Oklahoma. I would very much like to go. Right now, VCU
basketball looks a whole lot more exciting than UVA hoops. The
rebuilding team on the floor took control of the game midway
through the first half with a 24-4 breakout. They cruised from
there, keeping the margin within a bucket of 30 points in either
direction for most of the second half. Final score was, I
believe, in that range. I want to see them play a top level
team, because they didn't look that solid in the halfcourt. But
Larry Sanders is a credible big man, and the freshman point guard
Joey Rodriguez looked real good. T.J. Gwynn is my new favorite
player. I don't know why. But he is.

I gather Oklahoma is still very strong? I would expect the
Sooners to beat the Rams by 15-20, but we'll see. All-in-all, I
might just enjoy following CAA basketball more than ACC. Oh, and
I learned that VCU football is still undefeated! I never knew!
But the t-shirts educated me. We could beat UVA in men's soccer,
we could beat UVA in men's basketball, we can probably beat you
guys in football too!

Go Rams!

No comments: